Pamir Pumps are conventional lever action handpumps. They are designed for heavy-duty use, serving communities of 300 persons. The maximum recommended lift is 60 m for the Pamir Pump. The pumps are not fully corrosion resistant; rods are subject to rusting. The Pamir Pumps are public domain pumps defined by RWSN specifications, only used in Afghanistan and Pakistan. They are easy to install and have excellent potential for community-based maintenance. The configuration includes an “open top” cylinder: the piston can be removed from the cylinder without dismantling the rising main. The foot valve is retractable with a fishing tool.
Distribution: tens of thousands in Pakistan & Afghanistan.
In Pakistan and in Afghanistan, the use of stainless steel components is uncommon; therefore, these pumps should not be used as substitutes for the Afridev pump.
However, there are some similarities (and differences) with the Afridev deep pump:
- It is suitable for bore holes (with same casing size as in Afridev Water Hand Pump) and hand dug well.
- Pump body, stand (Pedestal), Top Cover, Rubber Components, Plastic Components (Foot valve and Plunger) and Cylinder except Plunger Rods are the same as Afridev Water Hand Pumps.
- Handle is stronger and Heavy; Ball bearing with different pins and hosting is used this pump instead of Plastic bearing.
- Pump Rod used in this pump is “Double Hook & Eye”, and is completely different from Afridev Hand Pumps rod.
|Depths to be used:||60 m (or possibly 80m)|
|Cylinder diameter:||50.0 mm|
|Maximum Stroke:||225 mm|
|Approx. discharge (75 watt input):||at 10 m head: 1.4 m³/hour|
at 15 m head: 1.1 m³/hour
|Pumping lift:||10 - 45 m|
|Population served:||~ 300 people|
|Households:||30 - 50 hh|
|Water consumption:||15-20 lt/per capita|
|Type of well:||borehole or dug well|
Construction, operations and maintenance
Pump head, handle and pump stand are made of galvanised steel, pump rods of mild steel, rising main of PVC-U pipe (Ø63 mm), cylinder of PVC-U pipe with brass liner (Ø50 mm), plunger and foot valve are of plastic. These pumps are not fully corrosion resistant, the rods are subject to corrosion.
All parts of these pumps have a potential for local manufacturing in Afghanistan and Pakistan. Local companies who manufacture PVC-U pipes and have the knowledge of processing engineering plastics are able to produce the “down-hole components”. The cost of the tooling is high and therefore the number of manufacturer will be limited.
Installation of the Indus pump is not difficult and does not need any lifting equipment. It is however recommended that a well-trained crew with the necessary skills perform the installation.
This pump has an excellent “Community Management Potential”, it is reliable, easy to repair by a village caretaker and popular with the communities.
- Complete specifications of the Kabul pump (as well as comparing it to the Indus and Pamir pumps): Handpump Specification for: Indus pump, Kabul pump, Pamir pump. RWSN.
- Handpump Specification for: Indus Pump, Kabul Pump, Pamir Pump. RWSN.
- Pamir Water Hand Pumps. Kawsar water handpumps.