Editing an Akvopedia page
This page describes how to edit existing Akvopedia pages.
To add a completely new page, click here.
To add a completely new page to one of the portals, a new icon needs to be created and the proper location established.
In this case, please contact the Akvopedia Editor (Winona Azure: winonaakvo.org) to arrange this.
Step 1 - Log in
If you have an Akvopedia account already, you can login, and go to step 2. If you don't have an account yet, it is easy to create one.
- Click on the "Login" link in the upper right of any one of the Akvopedia pages, to sign in. (see figure 1)
- Or click on the "Create account" link (see figure 1) and follow the instructions on the page (see figure 2). An email will be sent to the email address you provide. If you can't find the email, it may have ended up in your junk/spam folder.
- Confirm your account by clicking on the link in the email.
- If somehow you don't succeed in creating an account, please contact the Akvopedia Editor (Winona Azure: winonaakvo.org).
You can now start editing!
Step 2 - Start editing the article
- Start the editing proces by pressing the "Edit" tab on top of the article. (see figure 3) Is there no edit-tab? then you need to login or create an account (see step 1).
- The wiki-code (the language of websites) of the page is displayed. (see figure 4) It is a bit like HTML, but has some differences as well. For example, if you want to make a section heading, this should be entered like "===Section Heading===". All major headings use the 3 equal signs on either side of the heading. Sub-headings can use 4 equal signs on either side. If this is your first experience with wiki-code, you can learn the most important things about it here., and of course you can also study the text of some of the other pages. A list of editing functions is also available.
- You can now change the text. Please remember that the best articles are a fair balance of opinions, where both arguments in favour and against an idea have their place. If you don't agree to the content of a page, for example, you should not just delete it; instead you should add arguments of your own, for example in a separate section "Criticism", or as "Local experiences". When in doubt, please contact the Akvopedia Editor (winonaakvo.org).
- Below you find information on how to add a picture, a movie or a link to an external website.
Step 3 - Preview the article
- To see what the page looks like with the changes you have made, click 'Show preview' at the bottom of the page (see figure 5). This does not yet save your page, it just shows you a preview!
Step 4 - Save the page
- Before saving the page, add a short description of your changes in the 'Summary' box (see figure 6) to make it easier for your fellow Akvopedia editors to track changes.
- Finally, save the new Akvopedia article by clicking 'Save page' (see figure 7).
All pictures in Akvopedia are placed on the right hand side of the text in a small format, with a short text describing the picture. When the picture is clicked, the full format is displayed. The page How to add picture explains how to add and upload pictures.
To display the picture on the right-hand side, this text was used: [[Image:Joinus.jpg | thumb | right | 200px | Click [[Picture name|here]] to see how you can contribute pictures]]. You can copy and paste this text in the Akvopedia article you are editing, changing the image name and the picture description to correspond to your uploaded picture.
Movies and animations cannot directly be incorporated in an Akvopedia page yet. Instead, a link is provided to the location of the movie or animation. See the section below on how to add links.
There are two ways to add a link to an external file, such as a movie, an animation, or an external web page:
- Click on the "chain link-looking button" in the upper-left corner of the editing box (see figure 8). This gives you the option to insert the web address, create a caption, and then select whether you are linking to an external website, or another page (internal) within Akvopedia. It will then insert the text "[http://www.example.com link title]" into your editing page wherever you place your nouse cursor.
- A second method is to simply directly insert the text "[http://www.example.com link title]" by copy paste (take it from another link's code already in an Akvopedia page), and make the changes to the web address and the title.
- Internal links, or pages that link to other Akvopedia pages, will appear like this in the code, with 2 brackets instead of one on either side of your text: "[[Akvopedia page | Text you want displayed]]". The pipe symbol, or " | ", can be used to separate the page name in Akvopedia, with the name you want the text to say. For instance, say in an article you are mentioning how to build a sand dam. The page in Akvopedia uses a capital "S" for Sand dam. But you might want to just mention the word in your sentence, such as: "Many people find this pump goes well with sand dams." You would not want to add a capital "S" and you would like to make the word 'dams' plural, too. The code would then look like this in your sentence: "Many people find this pump goes well with [[Sand dam | sand dams]]". In your final (saved) text, it will appear like this: "Many people find this pump goes well with sand dams".
Don't forget to save your page!